What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear the word “green”? Definitely, the first thing is the green color. Then you will start thinking about the green objects that your mental awareness has arranged. Think about the positivity resembled by the green color and the trees that help in improving the environment. But, the dull colors such as gray have replaced the green color due to the increasing environmental problems over the passing time. Luckily, you can help in maintaining the green color and sustaining the environment through simple home practices.
Simply, it is all about shifting the lifestyle and becoming more conscious of the surrounding environment through acquiring methods that make us more ecologically responsible. Furthermore, this lifestyle can improve your health and life’s quality starting from the ingested food till the inhaled breath. This aids in protecting the environment and sustaining the renewable resources for the recent and coming generations.
The United States Chamber of Commerce Small Business Nation defines “going green” as saving energy, reducing pollution, and saving money through easy steps.
- Conservation of energy: it is a main basic concept of going green which can be simply done in your daily life such as turning the lights off when leaving, and closing the tap while brushing your teeth. Also, you need to be farsighted when using many of the available energy efficient products, which range from light bulbs and large appliances, as they are initially expensive yet they help you conserve energy and save money. Comfortably, these products can save you about 33.33% of your energy bill. For instance, the lights bulbs consume 5% of the family’s income annually with efficiency 10% while the rest of energy is lost as heat energy while the saving energy light bulb is more efficient and saves more energy and money.
Here are recommended tips that help you save energy.
- Repair the leaking systems of air conditioning and refrigerators
- Decrease the usage of air conditioning and heating systems
- Create insulation for pipes, water heater, and home.
- Use many of the available energy efficient products
- Pollution reduction: Environmentally friendly is the most obvious and essential meaning of going green. Decreasing the pollution in your home helps preserving the environment and most importantly your health.
There are simple ways to decrease air pollution at home.
- Install a ventilation fan in the bathroom to decrease the shower’s moisture. Thus, this controls the growth of mold that can lead to respiratory problems like asthma and allergy.
- Use chemical free ways to control insects and pests and decrease the use of pesticides that raise the risk of cancer, irritate the eyes, nose, and throat, and harm the Central Nervous System and kidneys; it is advisable to ventilate home after usage.
- Make sure that the stove is maintained and properly installed to prevent emitting of carbon monoxide.
- Store the cleaners in a dry place and try to avoid cleaners that contain Volatile Organic Compounds because it releases it.
- Clean the hard surfaces from dust with a damp cloth and vacuum the carpets as allergy and asthma are triggered by dust.
- Wash bed sheets weekly using warm water as they contain dust, use zipped covers of pillows and allergy proof mattresses.
- Keep pets away from the bedroom and upholstered furniture and carpets as their hair and dander triggers allergy and asthma.
- Don’t smoke inside the home to protect your children respiratory diseases.
- Green products: Green options around you, including organic food and natural cleaning products and efficient light bulbs, can transform your life greener.
- Reduce, reuse, and recycle: Reduce using the emitters of greenhouse gases that negatively impact the environment such as aerosols and air condition Freon. Also, reduce means decreasing the amount of the waste you produce. The most efficient way of saving natural resources, saving money and protecting the environment are reduction and reusing. Reusing means using the materials more than once such as using the jar for storage. Donation of appliances and clothes will help others and make fewer wastes especially if it can’t be recycled. Recycling plays a fundamental role in pollution reduction as it’s better using the recyclable materials like plastic than waiting years to decompose it. Also, daily food waste (organic waste) can be used as compost rather than being thrown.
- Use rechargeable batteries
- Get products powered by solar energy such as calculators and watches
- Repair appliances is better than buying new ones
- Reusable shopping bags are really good substitutes for plastic bags as they have different sizes and materials. They can be pocket-sized by rolling or folding them. They are made from renewable materials.
- Use the biodegradable plastic bags rather than the plastic bags that endanger animals that eat it and continue polluting the water and soil for thousands of years till degrade.
- Many initiatives collect plastic bags nowadays to recycle it and give you money in return.
- Many initiatives collect organic wastes, plastic products, and used oil for recycling. For instance, Green Pan initiative helps people getting rid of the frying oil by recycling the oil to produce organic fuel, glycerin, and soap in return they give people washing soap. The same idea is with “MIND for cooking oil recycling” initiative that gives people washing soap and money in return. Also, Zebala Stores raise people’s awareness about the importance of reusing and recycling the wastes through buying the aluminum cans, plastic bottles, cooking oil, and paper. Ain El-Bee2a initiative recycles the organic and non-organic wastes.
Saving money: going green strategies enable you to save money greatly. For instance, your conscious impact in conserving energy will lead you to cheaper electricity bill, and definitely, you will save money when you plant vegetables and use organic compost from food.